Jul 7, 2014

[#2] A bitter Hawaiian memory

When I was 6, my family and I went to Hawaii as summer vacation.
We stayed at cosy hotel, played in the beautiful beach and enjoyed bright sunshine!

Honolulu Beach, Hawaii

By the way, one of the most exciting things in the resort for adults is always SHOPPING.

So one day my parents left me in the "Kid's program" and went shopping.
"Kid's program" was the program provided by the hotel which looked after children like me. My class had about 10 children with different ages, from 2 to10.

Of course I didn't know how to speak English at that time, but I somehow made friends with other children and we enjoyed watching cartoons, eating cheap snacks and drawing stupid pictures.

Suddenly the teacher of my class proposed two things to us as our next activity. I didn't understand what they were, but at least I could understand that there were two choices for us, and the only one word I could hear from the teacher was "pool".

In Hawaii, it was extremely hot everyday. So I cheerfully raised my hand and said "Yes! Yes! Pool! Pool!"
Then I felt something wrong. Most of the children who had played with me went to outside of the class room, leaving only me and another very little girl. Most of the children made another choice!

Still now I don't know where they went , but anyway, I was left with a very little girl.
The teacher brought us to a little garden of hotel and put us into a pool. The pool was not the big one, but was just an above-ground swimming pool made by vinyl!
I was shocked and embarrassed because there were only me and tiny girl.

What a small pool!!

At this moment I swore for myself that someday I surely become to use English fluently and perfectly.
This is a bitter Hawaiian Memory in my childhood.

2 years old me.  Cute, isn't he?

1 comment:

  1. You write beautifully Zoo...it is a pleasure having you in class.

    ReplyDelete